Exercise 3.4: Acknowledge and Address Counterarguments

Objective: to understand how to acknowledge and address counterarguments.

Due by 9:30 a.m. Monday, April 27th

Estimated time: 1 – 2 hours

Part 1—Reading

Part 2—Writing

In a brief paragraph, discuss why and how specific ideas in these two articles should be implemented in your research essay. Post your answer as a comment below.

19 thoughts on “Exercise 3.4: Acknowledge and Address Counterarguments

1. In “Starting with What Others Are Saying”, it is important for the reader to know what the general consensus thoughts are on the topic we are discussing. This is to prevent the reader from questioning our take and why we are even exploring the specific topic. That is why the Gerald Graff et al. strongly suggest we quickly pivot our essay from introducing our topic to what the public or general population thoughts are on our topic.
    In “Acknowledgements and Responses”, it is important for the writers to “acknowledge” the readers’ questions. However, the writers has to know which argument to response to as there is no perfect answer to all questions. That is why the author suggest to accept the flaw of not being able to answer the reader’s specific question and use your argument as an insight the topic.

2. I found some special ideas in the article “Starting with What Others Are Saying” that can be used in my essay, not just to state my understanding and ideas about the principle of academics, pay attention to using other resources and papers to summarize their opinions In conversations and discussions, use your own way to incorporate the opinions of others to argue to summarize others’ opinions and build your own.
    After i found in “Acknowledgments and Responses” ,imagine a reader ’s doubts and doubts when reading your academic paper, in order to find a relatively responsive argument, to imagine what opinions they will put forward, how to oppose your argument, how to argue with you, and then assume that these problems occur Dialogues and discussions with hypothetical readers in your own papers help to improve your academic papers.

3. Some ideas that I gathered from “Starting with What Others Are Saying” is that the topic that I choose to speak about is not my own, but amongst other people that share my perspective, meaning that I need to include the conversation surrounding the topic the set the foundations of my thesis and for where my considerations come from.

In “Acknowledgement and Responses”, I looked specifically at how it mentions the idea of asking unanswerable questions to better clarify what I plan to talk about. I figured that in asking these questions, I could not only simplify my analysis and synthesis statements but also consider perspectives that would push to find meaning in my word choice.

4. In “Starting with What Others are Saying” by Gerald Graff, says that “writing well means entering a conversation, summarizing others (“they say”) to set up one’s own argument (“I say”).”(17). To simplify this he is essentially saying that you must use the argument of the people to support your own argument. This will help with my essay because it makes a persuasive argument in each analysis paragraph. The next article “Acknowledgments and Responses” by Wayne Booth would also be useful with writing my essay. He describes how in order to be successful with writing you must anticipate and acknowledge the readers thoughts and objections. As well as respond to these thoughts that your audience has about your argument.

5. Both essays are essentially explaining the proper way to respond to arguments, the proper way, that is. There is a way in which you can respond to articles that are more logical instead of just using your own reasons, which may be flawed, or lacking reason. As the essay says, you don’t want to sound ignorant, or more importantly biased. Both texts give you a good idea of how to improve your own argument, by using the questions of others, so that you may be able to answer said question in your own argument. Answering, what society’s question maybe will make it easier to strengthen your claim, because it shows you know what they may have to say, giving you credibility.

6. Taking the ideas from “Starting with What Others Are Saying” they clearly emphasize the importance of how we need to be coherent and specific when discussing a question, claim, or topic when explaining our reasonings behind our answers. Since we are discussing our research question to others when writing our essay we need to be accurate when citing sources as we do not want our audience to be confused. It’s keen to take note of the elements from “Acknowledgements and Responses” as readers might have questions regarding your work as not everyone can process information the same way. This is not a way to discourage an author but in actuality, you are able to gain insight from another perspective and be able to improve and expand upon your previous reasonings.

7. In the article, “Starting with What Others Are Saying”, it mentions some important ideas that I must include in my essay which are to include the point of my essay and why I am writing it. This will make it easier for the audience to understand the goal of writing the essay. This article also suggests presenting the argument in an expanded way. Some of the ideas of the article, “Acknowledgements and Responses” that I would like to use in my essay are that you should admit that your evidence can be debatable if it can’t fully be backed up. Another suggestion that I would like to include in my essay are to make sure that all the possible questions that the readers may have are answered in the essay.

8. An idea in “Starting with What Others Are Saying” by Gerald Graff that I would like to implement in my essay is starting with what others are saying about the topic then introducing my idea as a response to that. This will help the readers to understand why I’m researching that specific topic and what my views are. An idea in “Acknowledgements and Responses” by Wayne Booth that I would like to implement in my research essay is to acknowledge the readers of the essay and answer their potential questions so that my essay brings out my voice and the voices of others.

9. In the essay “Starting With What Others Are Saying”, it talks about the importance of mentioning other understandings of a subject (“They Say”) before i present mine (“I say”). When you are talking about a topic, it is not enough only to present your side but also to bring other sides on this topic to show that you are responding to a larger conversation. When you don’t do it, your readers may lose focus and interest. One tip that I think is important is the idea of “return sentences”, meaning going back and reminding the audience what you are responding to.

In the essay “Acknowledgements and Responses”, it is saying that in a writing , the readers don’t really have a chance to ask questions and get answers for them so it is important for the writer to ask the questions that the readers may ask an try to answer them in the writing in order to make the readers find the article interesting.

10. From “Starting with What Others Are Saying” I learned that you have to take in to account what other think about your topic as well as what you think about the topic. It is important to state what other have said about your topic, this helps the reader understand the points you are making. Add the opinions of others in your writing will help develop your argument.

From “Acknowledgements and Responses” I learned that you need the answer the questions that the reader may have. Your essay should address the surrounding issues that people have on the topic. This is almost like incorporating the issues that may arise from your topic. When doing this you can look to frequently asked questions on the topic.

11. My take away from “Starting with What Others are Saying” is that the topic that I intend to address already have other perspectives surrounding it. When adding to this conversation, it’s important to take into consideration others perspectives, rather than simply declare mine. Not considering the perspectives of others may leave the audience confused or uninterested. It’s important to be conscious about the conversation you’re adding to, and how you’re intending to do so.

Similarly in “Acknowledgements and Responses”, I learned that it’s not possible to ask question back and forth in writing and therefore when a writer is discussing a topic, they need to be mindful of the questions that the readers may have about it. This method will also help highlight my perspective, as well as how others perceive it – making adding to a conversation for effective.

12. The article “Starting with What Others Are Saying” by Gerald Graff et al, has an important point that should be implemented into my research paper. The article states that when writing an essay one must keep in mind that we are having a conversation which means that we must be able to answer a broader question than the one we have in mind. This means that we need to be able to tell the reader what others are saying about the topic we are talking about. In “Acknowledgments and Responses” by Wayne Booth et al, an idea that I can use for my essay is to imagine the questions that the readers my have when reading my essay. I need to be able to predict what arguments they might have against my main idea and I need to know how to defend it so the core can be strong.

13. One idea that I would like to implement from the “They Say, I Say” is that I should not only present my own ideas, but also need to share their perspective. When entering the conversation, I should start with ” what others are saying “. One more idea, is first to start with what your readers would agree, then to argue what you disagree

From “Acknowledgement and Response”, I learned that you have to “imagine their question”. You have to acknowledge your readers view and try the best to answer their views and thoughts.The main problem that I face when writing is the limited vocabulary. There are many good examples which I would try to use it in my formal draft essay

14. The ideas presented in “Starting with What Others are Saying” and “Acknowledgements and Response” are important because they lay the groundwork for how research is supposed to be conducted. In social science, there are very few ideas that have not been at least partially explored, and therefore must be based on the research of others. In order to formulate a research question, or at least a complete one, the research of others has to be examined and collected. What have they discovered? What are their sources? How might I apply their research to my own? In “Acknowledgements and Response”, we learn that acknowledging sources is not only essential to avoiding plagiarism, but crucial to the continuation of research in the future. For others to build on the research, there must be a linked chain so to speak of prior research.

15. In the article, “Starting with What Others are Saying”, I learned that, I need to represent other’s perspective along with mine in my essay.

In the article, “Acknowledgements and Response”, I need to like a reader and think about what questions they might have reading my essays and answer the questions while writing my essay.

16. “Starting with what others are saying” essentially advises writers how to introduce topics as an element of a conversation, in response to another idea, so that the information would be presented in a natural logical order. this can be implemented in my essay by building context before going into analyses. “Acknowledgment and response” is also really useful in a similar fashion, it also advises to think of what the audience’s thoughts might be, but it focuses on questions and objections, this can be helpful when revising essays and looking for gaps in explanations, bits of knowledge that are presented with no justification and just general interruptions in the flow of the thought.

17. In Marrie Deanne Therese O. Correa’s “Ghost in the Shell: A Cyborg-Feminist Review of Mamoru Oshii’s Animated Film” using a quote where the author describes humanity moving into this computerized time I will explain how just because we have become computerized does not mean we have become perfect. In Austin Corbett’s “Journal of Evolution and Technology” I use a quote from his reading to describe how Japanese people view cyborgs as being no longer viewed as human.

18. There are many ideas in “Starting with What Others Are Saying” by Gerald Graff et al, that could be implemented in a person’s essay. I should implement some of these ideas because they will help further improve my essay. One idea is engage one topic in many perspectives. The reason being, just like how we learned about discourses, when an idea is presented in a certain way, we might learn of it and define it according to how it was represented to us, once a person will try to represent an idea from different perspectives, he will see all the ways a topic is represented and will reduce his bias of how he/she is understanding that topic, giving the person a clearer idea of that topic, that is how this will help the person explain ideas better in his/her essay, but using different perspectives.
    In “Acknowledgments and Responses” by Wayne Booth et al, one idea that I could implement in my essay, is questioning my argument as my readers will. When a person reads an essay many times obvious questions will appear that my seem to contradict an essays argument. To counter this, an essay writer should implement this obvious questions and answer them clearly to further prove his argument, that is how this idea will help me in my essay.

19. “Starting with What Others Are Saying” by Gerald Graff et al showed different ideas that could be implemented into my essay. For furthering my essay implementing some of these ordeals would do more justice than harm. One thing stated was that was the use of of engaging different perspectives around one topic. Another idea was the way in which my essay is displayed, placing it in natural order. Also acknowledging questions that the reader may have.