Exercise 2.5: Path of Analysis

Objective: to organize your essay by developing a path of analysis in the remaining two of your three analysis paragraphs (continuing work from class).

Estimated time: 1-2 hours
Due by 9:00 a.m. Wednesday, March 25th

IMPORTANT: If you did not complete the classwork on Google Classroom for Monday, March 23rd, please do so before you begin working on this homework.

Part 1—Writing

Using strategies from Monday’s classwork, develop a path of analysis of your other two analysis paragraphs. Be sure that you first perform a says/does analysis of each of those paragraphs. Paste your response as a comment below.

Note that the theories in this exercise are Williamson and Hall’s, so make sure you’re clear about that.

See Google Classroom for the materials.

Part 2—Private Writing Journal 2.4

What strategies from the Model Essay do you want to use in your own? (This writing is only for you, so no need to post.)

Part 3—Reading for Wednesday’s Class

For Wednesday’s class, please read/re-read the following writing guides:

• Effective Paragraphing
  • Developing Strong Claims
  • 8 Strategies for Critically Engaging Sources
  • Sandwiching Quotes
  • Radical Revision
  • vocabulary list from Engaging Multiple Viewpoints

20 thoughts on “Exercise 2.5: Path of Analysis

1. For paragraph 4 and 5 of my essay I am going to use path 1 analysis. So I will have to introduce relevant theory, analyze specific parts of the exhibit, introduce argument about exhibit, and confirm/ contradict argument.

2. for my analysis paragraphs, I feel like implementing the idea that the path 4 analysis uses as it has a clear and concise format in getting textually evidence form either Willamson or Hall as well as my own ideas that I’ve noticed in my advertisement

3. For my analysis 2, I used path 2 in order to give the reader a heads up on the context of the paragraph before conducting analysis.
    For analysis 3, I used path 3 as objectification required some context on theory and argument before the exhibit can be presented.

4. For my other two analysis paragraphs I will use path 4 like the first one. I feel it’s the best and easiest way, for me, to get my thoughts across and onto paper correctly. I can describe the portion of the ad i’m going to write about in that paragraph, introduce my theory (from Hall and Williamson), conduct a lens analysis with backup from Hall and Williamson, and then confirm the theory.

5. For my analysis paragraphs I used Path 2 which will be to introduce and analyze existing arguments about specific aspects of exhibit, use theories to conduct lens analysis of that specific aspect of exhibit and discuss how the analysis confirms, contradicts or extends existing arguments.

6. Paragraph 2- Says: the image of the woman smiling while she is cleaning seems to be sending a message that women really like doing the job of cleaning.
    Does: analyzing my claim using theories from Hall and Williamson.

Path of Analysis- I used path #2

1) In my second paragraph, I introduce the problem with the image of the woman being happy while she cleans. Then I analyze the issue about what really makes a woman happy.

2) Hall’s theory of ideology shows how a set of beliefs (woman likes cleaning) can produce knowledge and serve the interests (sell a sponge). Williamson also talks about the importance of a person in an ad and how it can promote a product.

3) Analysis of the issue confirms that the problem does exist. Publishers use different techniques to push their beliefs.

Paragraph 3- Says: a girl should know how to clean from a young age. Therefore, the right tradition that should be passed on from mother to daughter is cleaning, which causes also not to try and fulfill her potential in other areas.
    Does: analyzing my claim using theories from Hall and Williamson

Path of Analysis- I used #2

1) In my third paragraph, I introduce the problem with the image of the little girl and then I analyze the issue about what is the right tradition that should be passed on from mother to daughter.

2) Stuart Hall’s theory of “regime of truth” shows how a source of power can force an idea – cleaning is a tradition to pass on. Williamson also uses the correlative theory in order to show how two things can be connected even if they don’t seem to have any connection at all (a girl and a cleaning product).

3) Analysis of the issue confirms that the problem does exist. Because the tradition is being passed on from mother to daughter, it is not going to disappear too quickly.

7. I am using Path 1 for my Analysis paragraph 1: The image of a young girl
    Paragraph 1: Analysis – Analyzes the image of a young girl.
    Introduce relevant theory. – Use theory to conduct lens analysis of that specific aspect of exhibit. – Introduce existing argument about that aspect of exhibit. – Analyze and confirm, contradict, complicate, or extend existing argument based on conclusions from your analysis

I am using Path 1 for my Analysis paragraph 3: The image of a young girl
    Paragraph 3: Analysis – Analyze the Audience and explains why The ad objectifies women as a sex symbol.

8. ANALYSIS PARAGRAPH #1:

SAYS/DOES ANALYSIS:

SAYS: The name of the product “Fair and Handsome” implies an explicit bias that if
    you’re not fair, you’re not handsome – promoting colorism.
    DOES: Analyzes the specific element of colorism through the lens of “Discourse and Power” by Hall and decipher the technique of transference of value through Williamson’s theories.

PATH OF ANALYSIS: (Path 2)

– Introduce and analyze existing argument about specific aspect of exhibit (Promotes colorism by the name of the product “Fair and Handsome” – If you’re not fair, you’re not handsome.
    – Use theory to conduct lens analysis of that specific aspect of exhibit (Hall’s idea of circulation of power through discourse) (Williamson’s transference of value)
    – Discuss how analysis complicates existing argument. (How the internalization of colonialism help the advertiser manipulate its consumers).

ANALYSIS PARAGRAPH #3

SAYS/DOES ANALYSIS:

SAYS: The before/after image is an explicit bias of that is portraying darker complexion as undesired or unwanted in comparison to a sense of accomplishment in fairness.
    DOES: Analyzes the element of bais in the light of the “regime of truth” by Hall that exists in the East about the West as superior and complicates the argument by Williamson’s theory of differenciation.

PATH OF ANALYSIS: (Path 2)

– Introduce and analyze existing argument about specific aspect of exhibit (Fantasizing fairness by displaying dark as undesirable).
    – Use theory to conduct lens analysis of that specific aspect of exhibit (Hall’s idea of regime of truth) (Williamson’s theory of differenciation)
    – Discuss how analysis complicates existing argument. (How the ideology of white superiority can be used as a marketing tactic).

9. For paragraph 1 of my essay I will use analysis pattern one, identifying bias in the picture according to the text, and the reoccurring pattern of colorism, then applying Williamson’s lens of her use of Saussure’s theories to extend my own argument.

10. For my other 2 analysis paragraphs I would like to implement path 2 for one paragraph so I could the reader an idea on the context of the paragraph before conducting analysis and for the other paragraph I’d use path 4 so I could introduce a relevant theory then use that theory to conduct a lens analysis of that specific aspect of the ad.

11. Analysis Paragraph 2: The sandwich and the description in black
    1.) Introduce Hall’s Theory on “regime of truth” and how power determines what is the “truth”.
    2.) Burger King is best well known as a fast food chain with store open around the globe. BK is using it’s power to demonstrate to men how the sandwich they are selling is as pleasurable as having sex.
    3.) The advertisement is selling to men misogynistic views towards women and is promoting masculinity to men.
    4.) The advertisement gives off an impression to men that consumption of this sandwich equates to having sex. The desire to eat this sandwich is equivalent to how a woman would desire to be intimate with a man. This fantasy can be dangerous as it leads to men having a lesser opinion of women.
    Analysis Paragraph 3: “It just tastes better”
    1.) Introduce Williamson’s theory of differentiation, in which an advertisement makes a defining quality about their product when it comes to their competitors.
    2.) Burger King wants their audience to know that their sandwich is the better than the rest. To do this, the advertisement appeals to mens sexual attractiveness, and compares the sandwich to sex.
    3.) This advertisement leads on it’s audience to believe that having the competitors sandwich gives less appeal.
    4.) The issue with this is that it denounces other men who eat other sandwiches, implying that these men will not reach the same level of virility as those who eat the super seven incher.

12. For my other 2 analysis paragraphs, I believe I could use analysis path 4 because it allows for me to describe my observations of the advertisement such as the woman that is represented in the mage, allow for me to introduce the idea by Judith of the signifier, and signified, develop the connection of this idea with the element being discussed and finally end with whether it is confirming the theory or contradicting it.

13. (Love’s Baby soft ad)
    Path 3-modified

Analyses Paragraph 1 – on the image of the girl
    1. Introduce Hall’s concept of the creation of a regime of truth through discourse
    2. Use that as a lens to analyze the picture of the girl used
    3. Expand as to how that & other elements contribute to or modify the ‘Regime of Truth’ on feminine ideals.

Analyses Paragraph 3 – on the product images
    1. Introduce Hall’s theory that power can be used to create the regime of truth on a specific topic, by overpowering other discourses, & by making the ideas of the discourse true.
    2. Use that as a lens to analyze the product images & attributes of the products
    3. Explain how the specific products advertised & their similarity to adult products expand upon the theme of presenting young girls as older & how that can shift their perception of their present & future role in society

14. Second analysis paragraph
    1. In the essay “Discourse in Power” by Stuart Hall, he states that “Discourses are not reducible to class-interests, but always operate in relation to power… The question of whether a discourse is true or false is less important than whether it is effective in practice. When it is effective- organizing and regulating relations of power – it is called “regime of truth”” (205).
    2. The overwhelming amount of attention the male model gives to the lighter skin woman compared to the other woman. This explicit bias is used to show the audience that a lighter skin will steal a man’s attention and will even cause your friends(females) to envy you.
    3. Leads to the assertion of the “regime of truth” of white supremacy
    4. This is stablished by the acceptance of the white skin of the first model by the other two, male and second female model, as the perfect and acceptable/desired skin tone.

Third analysis paragraph
    1. In Judith Williamson’s excerpt of Decoding Advertisements: Ideology and Meaning in Advertising one theory is “Advertisements appropriate the formal relations of pre-existing systems of differences. They use distinctions existing in social mythologies to create distinctions between products” (27).
    2. In this advertisement we can see the text that states that the product “Reveals Fairer, Smoother & Radiant Skin Within 14 Days”.
    3. Creates differences with between the two types of skin (colorism) as well as assets white superiority
    4. The use of the preconceived notion by the audience that white skin is superior lead to them to think that there is a level of ‘truth’ to the product and that in reality it might be different from other products.

15. From my analysis paragraph, I feel that my analysis is not in line with the three of element, so I think that my problem is that I have not done a good job of analyzing the three of element, so I will modify my previous path, so It will make my analysis paragraph clearer and relevant points, then I will try to add more connected facts to my analysis paragraph to summarize the relevant points.

16. For my analysis paragraph 2, I used path 2 where it gives context about the advertisement before going into the analysis part. this way the reader knows more about the situation rather then getting right into it.
    For paragraph 3 I used path 4 where it includes evidence. this could be tied back to Williamson

17. I believe I am using path 2 which is: Introduce and analyze existing argument about specific aspect of exhibit –> use theory to conduct lens analysis of that specific aspect of exhibit –> discuss how analysis confirms, contradicts, complicates, or extends existing argument for my analysis paragraph 2.

18. For my analysis paragraphs, I would like to use path 4 because it is more organized in my opinion and the thesis will be more clearly introduced. I would like to use this for all my analysis paragraph since I would not like my paragraphs to seem confusing by using multiple paths in the analysis.