Objective: produce a revised and polished final draft of your lens analysis essay. To produce your final draft, you will carefully revise and develop your formal draft using lessons and strategies learned in class and suggestions provided in my feedback.
If you would like to email ONE paragraph for my review, please do so by Saturday, April 11th at 7:00 p.m.
Estimated time: 2-3 hours
Due by 11:59 p.m. Monday, April 13th (extended)
- Review the guidelines for the Lens Analysis Essay.
- Revise and follow your revision plan you created in our March 25th online class.
- Review the Formal Draft assignment for anything you missed, specifically number 5, which requires you to highlight the components in your analysis paragraphs and provides you with a handout on theories from Williamson and Hall.
- Revise your analysis paragraphs.
- Review your claims/topic sentences for your analysis paragraphs that are specific sub-claims of your thesis for each of the three elements you’re analyzing. Use simple sentence structure to make sure that your ideas are clear for your reader.
- Revise your thesis. Your thesis should assert how/why the elements in the ad collectively are implicitly and/or explicitly biased but should not be a list. Bold your thesis. For a reminder of what a strong thesis statement is, review Gordon Harvey’s “Elements of the Academic Essay” writing guide
- Revise your conclusion paragraph that synthesizes your analysis of the ad, rather than restates your claims or summarizes your argument.
- Check your claims and thesis again to ensure that they connect.
- Proofread your essay and check that your Works Cited page is correct. (See the Model Essay.)
- Include your word count (the essay text only) in the heading on the first page.
- On a separate page, write a self-evaluation that discusses your writing and revision process for this essay. This self-evaluation is part of the assignment.
- Name your file according to the protocol on page 5 of the syllabus. For example, James Harden would name this essay like this: HardenJ_E2_FinalDraft.
- Submit your Final Draft to Dropbox by 11:59 p.m. Monday, April 13th.
As always, email me if you have any questions.